Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fabulous Annie

I have aways said that Annelise is the child who will accomplish whatever she dreams. Over the past couple of weeks, Annelise's dream has been to put together a play for the talent section of school meeting. So, at recess she rounded up seven of her friends and organized, wrote, directed and stared in a re-mix of Little Red Riding Hood. Each day I would receive updates on the progress that the girls were making. "Should we invite your friends over for a practice? Would you like me to look at your script and see if you need any help," I couldn't help but ask. She assured me that everything was under control. At recess she had the girls practicing, she arranged to audition for Mrs. Dooley, she gave assignments for costumes, and she even gathered together a few props from our storage room. Last night Annelise brought up a piece of red felt from last year's M&M Halloween costume. She instructed me where to cut, pin and tie strands of ribbon to create a hooded cape. As always with Annelise, my best place is on the sidelines. Lucky for me, Annelise is such fun to watch! Today Steve and I met at the school for the showing of "Little Red." Annelise and her friends were the first to preform in school meeting. Annie was a star, clearly enjoying the spotlight. The audience giggled when Red Riding Hood's father, not mother, reminded her to talk to strangers and while on her way to Grandpa's house, there was a cameo appearance of the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. I didn't quite know what to expect when I found my seat in the audience this afternoon, but as always, Annie's dream was a success.
As a bonus, Jonathan appeared on the stage next, with his friend Andrew. They had proposed to the principal that they present a sports trivia question at each school meeting throughout the year. The students would have the week to drop their answers to the question in a box located in the front hall. The winners would be acknowledged at the following school meeting. Steve and I knew that this addition to school meeting had been approved, but were pleasantly surprised when Jonathan appeared in front to the microphone, asking the students how many times the Patriots had won a Superbowl in the history of their franchise. You could see little boys throughout the student body bounce in their spots, as if wiggling and squirming would help hold in the answer.  We look forward to many sport tid bits shared around the dinner table this year. 

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Congratulations Annie - I know you were a great success, because I have enjoyed several play acting experiences with you. I look forward to a long and wonderful career in acting you will have.

I am not surprised by Jono's part in the event - he just needs his Uncles there to remind him who to cheer for and ask questions about.

marilee said...

Maybe we can look forward to a cousins version of "Little Red". Perfect name for Annie! Thanks for all of your comments on my posts. I have a need to hug and love Mia. Can't wait to hear more of your kids school adventures. What fun costumes will the Ebert kids be wearing this year???

Carolyn Ebert said...

I love how Annie knows exactly what she wants to do and goes out and does it. Drive is a great quality. Plus, she's just so darn cute! I'm so glad you are blogging so our family can keep up with the fun things your family is doing. Keep 'em coming :)

David Spendlove said...

Annie and Jono

Annie I wish I could have been there for the play. You are soooo creative.

Jono great trivia question. How about coming up with a question about the Jazz ( ie. How many times have they won a national championship??)

It was so fun to be with both of you and the whole family for Thanksgiving.
Love, Grandpa