Friday, September 18, 2009

He Made It!


Last Sunday Jonathan mentioned, late at night, that the elections in his class for student council representative would be held the next morning. "What does this mean," I asked? "I need a letter convincing the class to vote for me" was his response. The class could not know who the letter was written by because the teacher intended for the students to vote on the content of the letter, not the popularity of the student. In Jonathan's case, we knew this would be a disadvantage. Jonathan and I spent the next hour or so huddled around the computer, transforming his thoughts into text. This is what he came up with:

A few years ago I drove into the Nixon parking lot as a new student from a different state. When I first saw the school, I wondered if I would be included in soccer at recess, if the math problems would be harder here and if I would be happy and love this school as much as my other school. I soon found out that I would be happy here. Three years later I love this school and I am hoping to make it an even better place by being on student council.   

I would make a good class representative because I want to make a difference at Nixon. I could do a good job representing the 4th graders. I know that some of you think that we should be able to use the playground structure during recess. Some of you also think there needs to be  more sporting equipment such as bats and balls. I have heard some people say that we need to improve the quality of school meetings. I think that there should be a better football field with football lines. It also would be a good idea to have students spotlighted at each school meeting. I will listen to your suggestions and also come up with my own ideas. I will also not be afraid to talk about them at Student Council and with Ms. Jay. 

I know that my experience with being on many different teams and speaking in front of different groups of people will help me be a great member of Student Council. 

Now that I have been at Nixon for three years, I know that I am lucky to play soccer on the play ground and do math in the classrooms. I know that I a lucky to be a Nixon student. This year I am also lucky to be in Mr. Kotkin’s fourth grade class. I hope that I can represent all of us in Student Council this year. I know that I would do a good job. 


Signed,


Elvis Presley


Jonathan came off of the bus beaming. I knew that he had won! "It was the Elvis Presley that got me the votes" he exclaimed. I am sure he was right. If he can't get votes as Jonathan Ebert, I guess Elvis Presley will also do the trick! 

Congratulations Jonathan! 

We know that Jonathan is in for a great fourth grade year and can't wait to see how he makes Nixon a better place.

(Annelise was student council last year and Emilie was student council the year before. Thanks to Annelise's great school posters and Emilie's idea to repaint the playground lines, which really did happen, through student council, Nixon is a better place!) 

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Jono - congratulations...what a great letter, and you had better watch out, you know that Harrison thinks that he is Elvis P. We love you . Grandpa and Grandma E.

Gretta Spendlove said...

You're such a winner, Jono! You're good at so many things--lacrosse, baseball, math, piano--just a talented guy. Since being Elvis Presley worked so well for you, you'll have to talk with your Uncle Mike about the time he dressed up in an orange seventies shirt and bell bottom pant for his skit for a high school student body office--and won! There are great things ahead of you. Love, Grandma Gretta

marilee said...

Wow Jono! A school leader...I can't think of anyone better. I hope you have a great school year!

Carolyn Ebert said...

Good stuff! Congratulations!

Jonny said...

Jono,

You're the man. Way to be involved. Now you just have to get those lines painted on the football field.

David Spendlove said...

Jono,

Your da man!!! You are good at everything and I am not suprised that you were elected

grandpa