Sunday, April 25, 2010

Irish for a Day

Growing up, St. Patrick's Day was always an event in our house. After all, it was my mother's birthday, so she relished in everything green. I remember the green milk for breakfast, the corned beef for dinner, the green carnations that my grandfather always sent her and the tradition of wearing green to bed so that my sister and I couldn't pinch each other early in the morning.
In our home, St. Patrick's Day is still greatly anticipated and this year was no different. The Saturday before, the kids invited friends over to decorate sugar cookies. By the time we were finished, candy sprinkles dusted the counter tops and frosting dripped to the floor, but what was most important was that each girl walked out the door with a plate of green cookies to share and a big smile on her face.
When the kids stumbled out of bed on the 17th, I had already been up baking green waffles and whipping green cream. I pulled my leprechaun magic trick on the entire family and, as always, the older kids rolled their eyes while the little ones' jaws dropped in amazement. In a clear glass I carefully dropped one drip of green food coloring in the bottom of the glass. I made sure that each child was watching as I poured white milk from the container into their glass. As soon as the milk began to fill the glass it turned green. A leprechaun has been in the house I said, with awe.
The kids asked early in the day if we were having corned beef and cabbage for dinner. Of course, was my reply. Corned beef, cabbage with bacon, potatoes and Irish bread was served this year. During dinner, Jonathan read Irish limericks, I explained again who St. Patrick was, why we wear green and pinch each other and why the potato famine in Ireland brought so many Irish families to Boston, including many of their friends' families.
With busy schedules and constant routines, we welcomed a good holiday to celebrate.

2 comments:

Gretta Spendlove said...

I'm so glad you're celebrating St. Patrick's Day! That is, indeed, a day with a lot of meaning for me, and with a lot of meaning for Bostonians. Bring on the green carnations... and that is a very cute picture of Annelise and her two pals! Love, Mom

Craig Ebert said...

Sounds great! Carolyn loves to celebrate St. Patrick's day with cooking also. It is definately a fun holiday.