Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lucky Me

swim . bike . run
When Steve and I first were married, I tried to encourage Steve to run with me. "I am not a runner. My body type is not meant to run. Runners have a thin, smaller build. My body does not run," is what I heard in various forms right up until the day he entered the St. George Marathon lottery with Matt Perkins. Ever since, Steve has been a runner. It wasn't long before he added swimming and then biking to his repertoire, which naturally led to competing in triathlons. I thought that we were just humming along, entering an event here and there, until I found out that he had signed up for the Ford Ironman in St. George. Just over 400 days ago, the ticker was set, and on the turn of a dime, Steve began working out twice a day. He would swim in the morning and run at lunch or bike all day and then change into his running shorts and go out for a ten mile run. Surely this madness would end. It can't be sustained, I thought. I should have known better. Marching ahead, Steve increased his workouts and checked off personal goals, such as competing in half ironman triathlons and other local races. With just over a day left before the big race, Steve has lost between 35 and 40 pounds and is prepared to swim 2.4 miles in open water, ride 112 miles up and down the hills of Southern Utah and run 26.2 miles to the finish line. I am so proud of Steve. In the process of defining himself as an Ironman, he has taught our family dedication, courage, persistence, humility, ambition, athleticism and healthy living. How lucky I am to have met this "non-runner" 18 years ago.

5 comments:

marilee said...

I am also very proud of my big brother Steve! I think his can do attitude wore off on me. I've signed up for a relay marathon in June... Hopefully, this non runners body will make it. Thanks to both of you for being great examples!

Jonny said...

Go Steve! Jenny and I are excited for you. Jenny always tells me that she doesn't run marathons (nothing over 5 miles). We'll see what happens...

Jeff Ebert said...

Great work today Steve. You've made the family very proud.

Mike Spendlove said...

That´s a pretty amazing transition; I never would have guessed Steve was a 'non-runner'... maybe he'll get you into swimming and biking!

Gretta Spendlove said...

Steve's not only a great athlete, but a great manager--and the toughest managing anyone can do is to manage themselves!