Sunday, April 15, 2012

Best Buy

I came across a series of history CDs geared towards children by my favorite children's story teller, Jim Weiss. I ordered the entire 35 disk set. This is one of my best purchases made as a mother. I put the CDs in as we left Boston in December to drive across the country. We listened to CD after CD. We listened back and forth as we drove up to the ski resorts and back down all winter in Utah and as we drove multiple times down to St. George and back to Salt Lake. That took us half way through the set. We picked up on the Renaissance when we arrived in Italy and listened from the Amalfi Coast up through Tuscany across the South of France, down to the bottom of Spain and back up, through France and across to the UK. The kids loved them and kept asking for more stories. Steve and I thought that they were great and Sarah agreed. So much of what we have been seeing was covered on the CDs as we drove. When we arrived at the D-day beaches, the chapter on this battle began to play. The chapter wasn't long, but I couldn't believe that our timing was so accurate! I know that Jim Weiss and his history of the world will be remembered with fondness when we think of our road trip across Europe.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Whew! I just read the last three posts. (The Americans doing the flag ceremony at the cemetery made me cry.) The abbey is breathtakingly beautiful. I think as a tourist with a camera I could have stayed there for an entire day, taking pictures of the intricate, repetetive architecture and grandiose grounds

I've missed the window with my kids, but the CDs of European history would probably teach ME volumes I don't know! Tempting. :)

Gretta Spendlove said...

What great background for your children, to hear the CDs and then see so many of the places they described. I am so impressed with your abilities as a teacher.