Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cote d'Azur



I didn't plan enough time in the French Riviera. When I was ten, my grandma brought me to Europe with a stop along this coast. All I remember is Nice and not being too impressed, so my itinerary this time allowed for only a couple of days here. Somehow I forgot the art museums of Matisse, Cezanne and Renoir, the clear water and blue skies, the gardens hanging from the cliffs and promenades full of excitement. We started our day in Cannes, which was so much fun to drive through, knowing that in only a couple of months, many of the stars would be walking on the same streets that we were on. We attended church in the Cannes ward, which was thriving compared to the Siena church we were in the week before. Once again, we couldn't understand anything said, but for an hour or so, we felt very welcomed and at home in France. We then wound up to the hill top towns and had lunch in Vence where we all ordered croque-monsieurs to celebrate our arrival in France.
Afterward we drove to Saint Paul de Vence and wandered around the Fondation Maeght Modern Art Museum, which sits on a hilltop with gardens full of statues that brought about great conversations. Inside it was interesting to see which piece of art was my children's favorite. No one choose the framed piece of varying lengths of masking tape pulled off of a piece of paper, but a face made out of bolts and a plain red square were favorites.
We raced over to the Villa Euphrussi de Rothschild, which is a beautiful home with stunning gardens, situated on the narrowest point overlooking the Cap Ferrat. The kids raced through nine themed gardens, playing hide and go seek and following Ezra, who kept announcing that he was on an adventure. Fountains are choreographed to music and Japanese, Spanish and rose gardens are tucked amongst the hedges.
Our last stop of the day was a walk along Nice's Promenade des Anglais. We took a ride on a double decker carousal and poked our heads into the Hotel Negresco, which has the most charming carousal themed restaurant, as well as walked along the beachfront.
In the morning we visited Antibes before we left for Provence. We ate chocolate coconut crepes for breakfast and then walked along the harbor, spotting yachts, including one with a helicopter.
Our last Riviera experience was a hike along the coast. After passing signs that read, "Danger of Death" we held tight to the little ones hands and spent an hour or so tide pooling, skipping rocks, beach combing, and then creeping along a path that wound above the churning sea.
We were sad to leave the gorgeous Cote d'Azur but looked forward to our next stop.

4 comments:

David Spendlove said...

It warms my heart that you are do all you can to go to church. Try to avoid the "danger of death" places or as I tell Michael just wear a helment 24/7.
Love, Dad

Jonny said...

I'm glad you guys had such a good experience in the Cote d'Azur. Mike and I stopped through there for about 6 hours (in the wee morning) so that he could rest a poisoned leg at an abominable hotel. It looks like I need to update my perception of the area.

Mike Spendlove said...

I love the description of the stuff in the modern art museum... It's so fun sometimes to see the stuff that people are calling art. One time at the Tate Modern I saw a blank canvas that had been slashed once with a razor blade. An accompanying comment by the artist justified it as art because he did it, "only after much contemplation".

Gretta Spendlove said...

I envy you visiting the Cote d'Azur. Maybe you remember my story of Grandpa Calder buying me a $50 French dress in Nice when I was 7 or 8. I love the photo of me sitting on a rock by the sea in my new dress, with a huge, gap-toothed smile. I felt as gorgeous as the Cannes movie stars. Your photos look like you had just as good a time as I did! Love, Mom