Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Madame to Senoria



We traveled from the South of France to Northern Spain, with a few stops along the way. We missed visiting the Pont du Gard on our first day in Provence, so I tweaked our itinerary, refusing to leave the area without a visit.
I picked up fresh fruit, warm bread, a variety of cheeses and a few jugs of different kinds of juices and we headed for the ancient Roman aqueaduct. I had read that it was the perfect place for an afternoon picnic, which was true. We spent our time lunching on the banks of the river, skipping rocks, climbing boulders, and taking off our shoes to explore "rock island".

In my Fodors book, Carcassonne, a perfectly walled medieval village, complete with a drawbridge, is listed as one of the top ten things to do in France. For quite a while I had been excited to make a stop at this old city, so when the rain drops began to fall I was a little disappointed. I held on to my hopes of properly exploring the city, until we parked the car and stopped into huge puddles. We were completely drenched in just moments! I hadn't lost my determination yet, and the kids were enjoying the rain, so we grabbed the umbrellas and rain coats, and dashed to the towering stone walls. We snapped a few quick photos, and then ducked into some shops to find information regarding what was still available to see.
The ramparts were closed for exploring, sadly. We ran back out into the rain and, when we realized that we had done all that we could do to enjoy this city, we ducked into the best little chocolate shop and bought a bag full of chocolate fruits and nuts and some divinity to make it the rest of the way to Spain.
We ran back to the car, being pounded upon by the storm. Sitting in the car soaked, we passed out the candy and promised that we would be back to Carcassonne for a proper tour soon.

3 comments:

Jonny said...

You've always got to leave something for next time. I'm impressed that your kids are smiling in that picture after being soaked!

Gretta Spendlove said...

Both Pont du Gard and Carcassonne are new to me. I'll have to get working on Dad to pick Provence for his vacation spot next year. I love those shots of Ezra reveling in all the rocks at the Pont du Gard, as well as the one of Emilie and Jono teasing each other. A chocolate shop can soothe all kinds of disappointments. Love, Mom

Mike Spendlove said...

It's fun to read about all these places you're finding that I've never even heard of (like Carcassonne)! Also, I actually really enjoy reading about all the fun little things you do to make the day more enjoyable (picnics, picking out fruit, chocolates, etc.).