Monday, March 12, 2012

An Extra Gelato



As soon as I took over at the wheel of my nine passenger van when Steve left, I began earning extra gelatos. They are all in a reserve fund. Each time I make a tight corner scratchless, I announce to the kids that I get an extra gelato for that turn. Ezra has joined in on the fun by shouting from the back seat, if ever he hears my tires bump a curb or he thinks that I have inched too close to a wall, that I have lost my gelato. I am getting really good at three point turns (or 7, 10, and 13 point turns).
For those wondering, I have earned all of my gelatos. Almost.
By the way, my favorite part of my van is the red license plate. It warns those around me that I am a driver from a different country, which reminds locals that it might take me a minute to get around a turn, that it is possible that I can't read the no parking sign or that my foreign credit card might not go into the toll booth and the line of cars forming behind me should be patient.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

Thanks for a good laugh!

Mike Spendlove said...

Love it. I think I need a red license plate too... Although here in Australia the other drivers tend to just swerve around me.

Jonny said...

I'm impressed by the turning ability and intrigued by the red license plate. I can think of a few people I know back home who would benefit from one of those.

David Spendlove said...

Camille,

Very impressive job with the car. I do remember such situations when we were in Italy and Spain. I could use a Red license plate in Utah

Dad

Gretta Spendlove said...

Camille, ask Emilie, Jono, and Annelise about the time I parked your huge SUV in an underground parking lot when I was taking the kids whale watching. They were my consultants and helped me inch in and out, with much fear and trembling on my part. I definitely felt I had earned a gelato (or, in that case, a cup of great chowder). You're a brave woman, Camille. Mom