Saturday, March 24, 2012

Paying the Price


We arrived in Alicante, Spain late at night, around midnight. We knew that in order to get down to the Alhambra the next day, we would have to leave by 7:00. My alarm was set for 5:00 am. I hoped to carefully lift the little ones into the car, still sleeping, but of course the morning routine awoke them. As I should have expected, Mia was a disaster. With no nap in the car, she showed her not-so-flattering-side. She ran when we needed her to stop and she stopped when we needed her to run.
She was demanding and generally unpleasant, but worst of all, she kept taking off her clothes, right in the public eye!
(Also, she only smiled when I was trying to shoot candid shots, attempting to capture the feeling of the day.) It wasn't until we were leaving the site that we got relief.
Some great advice that I learned from my mom is that you usually only remember the good things. If I didn't have the photos to prove it, I would already have forgotten Mia's day of disaster!

5 comments:

Mike Spendlove said...

I love your comment about Mia, "She was demanding and generally unpleasant, but worst of all, she kept taking off her clothes, right in the public eye!" That reminds me of something I would do... In my younger years, of course.

Gretta Spendlove said...

Yes, to the comment of Mike Spendlove. As he knows, I have a shot of him, absolutely naked, walking up the front steps to our house, wearing a pair of my high heels... Your photo of Mia, grinning broadly with shirt pulled high and her pants around her ankles, shows that love of nakedness is in the family genes...

Jonny said...

Those pictures are priceless, and I think they explain Mia's behavior in the family picture on the last post.

Marilyn said...

Sure glad that is a Spendlove gene...I thought it came from the Ebert side...I am so relived!

David Spendlove said...

Mia is the star. She has what it takes to be the independent person she needs to be to do well. Regarding Marilyn's comment, Mia probably does have some spendlove genes but I have to say the spendlove's were all done with diapers by six months. Mia is pushing two years so where does that come from.